The Keys to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre
For over 850 years, two Palestinian Muslim families have been entrusted with the keys to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem, the holiest shrine for Christianity. The keys were created on July 15, 1149. The leader Salah Al-Din (Saladin) assigned the keys to the Joudeh Al-Husseini family on February 10, 1187, as the sole legitimate custodian of the keys and for the Nuseibeh family to open and close the doors of the church. These two Palestinian Muslim families have been performing this duty of honor every single day in a spirit of goodwill and respect for both faiths.